October 25, 2011

Left Behind

   This is a garden decoration that belonged to my step mother, Diana W. Cupp.  I say step mother but she was actually more of a mother to me than my real mother ever was.  My father and her married when I was just a child.  She helped my father raise four kids, one of which was her own.  Life in a step family definitely had its ups and downs but we were loved, provided for, and taken care of.  She always enjoyed working in her little gardens.  We only had a little yard but she always made room for a few vegetable plants and lots of flowers.  I remember as a kid being so proud to be the only house on the block that had such pretty flowers growing every year.
   A little over two years ago she was diagnosed with an extremely rare form of cancer.  It started out as a barely noticeable bump on the bridge of her nose, as if her glasses were causing some spot of irritation.  The barely noticeable spot quickly turned into a very aggressive cancer and over the next few months consumed her entire face and head.  We thought the chemo would help delay the cancer however, it was as if it only had pissed it off.  She truly fought hard as long as she could but to no avail.  It just wasn't the kind of cancer that could be defeated or even delayed.
   One day after she had lost her battle I was visiting with my father.  As I walked around the yard this statue of hers caught my eye.  As I stood there looking at it, I couldn't help but to think of her beautiful gardens. I wiped away the dirt and the grass clippings for a photo and as I did, I could see the paint chipping and peeling from the statues head and face. I couldn't help seeing the resemblance of the statue's face to her's. This garden statue of her's would just be one of the many things left behind.

For my mother, Diana W. Cupp

6 comments:

  1. I have to say this gave me chills. When seeing this picture without reading about it I honestly thought it was taken in a cemetary and was a close up of a angels face. Then reading your blog brought tears to my eyes. I know everyone has ups and downs with family even more so when its step parents but your post brought such respect to a wonderful woman. When I think of her I always think of how much work she did for the family when Papaw passed and how often she made a point throughout time to make sure Mamaw was okay. Now you have given me a new image to think of. I see through your photo a angel watching over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Angie for the wonderful comment. I love to know that others remember her for the great things that she did. We all have our faults and no one is perfect. I think we should be remembered for our good deeds and not the bad. Well at least if we have more good than bad, lol. Thanks for sharing and I hope you visit again real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Diana was a REALLY great woman. It took a great woman to take on 3 more kids in her life. I too remember how she would look after Mom and Dad and encourage me to do so more myself. She wanted to do good things for so many people. One of her biggest joys in life was her grand kids....and they miss her a lot too. I really can't say much more cause its just too hard and I don't want to bring us all down. Thanks Sean for the wonderful post and picture. Love you Son!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How touching! I appreciated the artistry even before I read the explanation, but the symbolism of your mother makes it all the more lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dad, I'm really glad you got a chance to check this one out. I'm so glad you enjoyed it and I am sorry it that it still hurts so. However, this is how she lives on. If we cant ever bring ourselves to speak of her, then she just fades away and no one who was anyone deserves that. She definitely had a great man standing by her side as fought her battle. She knew that she was loved and will be missed. We have to know that she is there in that special place listening to us speak so kindly of her that she just cant hold back the smiles. All the while reminding her of the feelings of love and joy from her earthly loved ones that will one day be with her there. I know that she is so happy for you and wishes you the best in all the love and life that you deserve and that is yet to come. Love you too, Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrea Thanks so much for your sweet and kind words as well as the compliments on my photo and post. That is really nice.

    ReplyDelete