October 31, 2011

Change Your Perspective

   This is one of my favorite type of shots to photograph. Although the composition has a vanishing point that clearly influences the shot, the subject of focus that I would like to draw your attention to is the perspective.  Perspective is very important in photography, as well as in our everyday lives. This is a simple and ordinary walk way of a bridge.  Nothing really too exciting or even really worthy of photographing, unless you change your perspective.  If you compose the picture as just an everyday shot with the predictable perspective, the results will likely not be pleasing to the viewer's eyes.  However, if you try a different perspective to compose the shot, the picture can suddenly become much more interesting to the viewer.
   Perspective in our lives works exactly the same way.  Personally, I have learned that if I go about my days with the same old mindset, things can become very boring and dull. It's as if I'm doing the same old routines and there is absolutely nothing I take pleasure in doing.  However, if I just change my perspective, as in the photo, my life suddenly becomes much more interesting, worth while and enjoyable.
   That is the point of this picture and what I am trying  to convey to the viewer through the composition. What is indeed a very ordinary bridge and walkway with dull shades of browns and grays, becomes a very interesting piece of architecture. Suddenly it's a river crossing with early morning blue sky filling in the symmetrical framework.  The purple tinted chain link fence  guides your eyes through the frame  by way of the horizontal and parallel lines of a vanishing point. The whole subject is transformed from dull to spectacular. So remember when life becomes repetitive and dull, change your perspective and see the beauty that is your reality.

1 comment: